March 29, 2008

GF Chocolate Quakes

I love these cookies!  They are easy to make, and will completely satisfy even the most ferocious chocolate craving.  These cookies are called quakes for the way the powdered surface cracks when cooking, making them look like ground that has been shaken up by an earthquake. This recipe calls for ground pecans, but you can use any nut you want.  If you want them to taste even better, slightly roast your nuts before grinding.

This recipe comes from my good friend Peggy's book "Got Milk: The Cookie Book."  I have a lot of great cookie recipe books, but in my opinion, this is one of the best out there!  Plus I like endorsing my friends, I'm not going to lie:).


The Following gluten-free flour recipe was adapted from the book The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast And Healthy by Bette Hagman.

Gluten Free Flour Mix
  • 3 cups white rice flour
  • 1 cup potato flour
  • ½ cup tapioca flour
  • 2 tsp xanthan gum

GF Chocolate Quakes Ingredients
  • 3 tblsp unsalted, melted butter
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, beaten (or egg substitute)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tblsp unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 cup GF flour (Pamela's or Bobs are good, but you can also use my mix above)
  • 1/2 tsp  Baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup finely ground pecans (or nuts of choice)
  • 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • Confectioners' sugar
Cooking Instructions
  1. Using an electric mixer (or your speedy hand-whisking skills), beat the melted butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla on low-speed until pale in color and thickened, about a minute or so  
  2. Using another bowl, sift together the cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt
  3. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until completely combined
  4. Fold in the nuts and the chocolate chips
  5. Chill the mixture for about an hour, or until it's firm enough to handle
  6. Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
  7. Put some confectioners' sugar in a bowl (for coating)
  8. Using a 1-inch ice cream scoop (or spoon), form chilled dough into 1-inch balls and toss into the bowl of confectioners' sugar. Roll the balls around until completely coated and then place about 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet 
  9. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the cookies have puffed and cracked apart
  10. Let cool for 5 or so minutes and then transfer to cooling rack
  11. Try not to eat too many of these. Good luck with that!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!