If you're vegetarian, simply substitute the sausage with well spiced tofu, or any other meat-like, non-meat you're fond of. If you're not that into pork, simply replace it with diced chicken or ground beef. No matter what protein source you use, the flavors of this dish are sure to please.
- 3 tblsp olive oil
- 3 large celery stalks (diced)
- 1 large green bell pepper (seeded & diced)
- 3 green onions (sliced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 lb pork sausage (or ground beef, turkey, tofu, etc.)
- 4 cups (about 3 cans) canned white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup hot sauce (your choice, but make sure it's GF - most are)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- Heat 2 tblsp of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add green peppers and celery and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add green onions and garlic - cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. With a slotted spoon, remove vegetables and transfer to plate for later.
- Add remaining olive oil to saucepan. Over medium-high heat, cook the sausage (or other meat/tofu) until well browned on all sides, stirring frequently.
- Add the cooked vegetables, kidney beans, hot sauce, water and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to low.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover saucepan and continue to simmer for 5 minutes to reduce liquid.
- Stir in the chopped parsley, serve, and be prepared for taste explosions to go off in your mouth!