This recipe produces a LOT of food, so feel free to cut it in half and easily be able fill up four people's bellies:) Also, make sure to drain and rinse your sauerkraut well - if not - the vinegar taste will be overwhelming. This is a complete meal - no side dishes necessary. Enjoy!!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
- 2 pounds bratwurst
- 9 slices bacon
- 4 tblsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium sized onions (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 4 cups sauerkraut (rinsed and drained)
- 2 1/2 cups sweet white wine (ex., Riesling), or white grape juice (no sugar added)
- 2 large apples (peeled, cored and thinly sliced)
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 large red skinned potato (about 3-4 oz.) (peeled and grated)
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Melt 1 tblsp butter in a large pot over medium high heat and add the bratwurst and sear until browned. Turn and repeat. Remove the bratwurst from pot and reserve for later.
- Melt 3 tblsp butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook for 3 minutes, or until crisp. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes or so, or until golden brown.
- Stir in the sauerkraut, wine (or unsweetened white grape juice), and caraway seeds. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the stock is reduced by 3/4ths.
- Slice and dice up the cooked bratwurst. Add the bratwurst to the sauerkraut. Stir in the apples and grated potato and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the apples and potato are mushy.
- Season with Salt and Pepper to taste.