I made this sweet-tooth dish for a pot luck dinner at my friend Katie's house. It was real easy to make, and there was a LOT of it! I am aware of how many recipes for sweets I have on my blog, but I just can't help it! I love sweet things!
For those of you with egg allergies, feel free to omit or add egg-replacer instead. The eggs help it expand a bit, but has no real impact on the taste of this desert. You can also replace the pecans with any other kind of nut you prefer, or even leave out nuts completely. Although this desert will appease those with the sweetest of sweet teeth, it comes packed with Vitamin A, Beta Carotene, Vitamin C, and Vitamin B6. It also has a good dose of Potassium and Manganese, so you can feel a little less guilty about the sugars and carbs you'll be taking in:)
You can use any gluten free flour you can find, or you can use the flour mixture below.
The Following gluten-free flour recipe was adapted from the book The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast And Healthy by Bette Hagman.
Gluten Free Flour Mix
- 3 cups white rice flour
- 1 cup potato flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
Southern Style Sweet Potato Bake Ingredients:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (yams)
- 4 tblsp. butter
- 2 tblsp. heavy cream
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tblsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup gluten free flour
- 1/3 stick softened butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans (or nuts of choice)
- Peel the sweet potatoes and place in a medium/large pot of water. Bring water to boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain and put aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl and mash them up with the butter and cream. Whip in the brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and milk. Smash it all together until smooth. Spoon the mixture into a 13" x 19" pan (or whatever you got) and even out.
- Combine the topping together in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potatoes. Bake until brown, about 35 minutes.
That's it. Simple as sweet potato pie! Enjoy!