March 23, 2008

GF Gratin Dauphinois


I just made this dish for an Easter get-together with some friends.  It's a recipe from a book I bought when I lived in Newcastle, Australia entitled the "Great Potato Cookbook."  It isn't listed in the United States, but if you ever find it be sure to pick it up.  Besides the slicing of the potatoes, this dish is pretty simple. I decided to alter the original recipe by adding layers of pre-sliced button mushrooms, and diced onions.  But either way you make it, this is delicious!
GF Gratin Dauphinois Ingredients
  • butter for greasing
  • 4-4 1/2 pounds potatoes
  • 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese (or any cheese you please)
  • 3-4 garlic gloves, crushed
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 1/4 cups cream (half & half is fine)
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Butter a large baking/casserole dish
  3. Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly
  4. Mix together two-thirds of the cheese, garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper (to taste) well. Layer the potatoes in the prepared dish, sprinkling the cheese mixture over each layer except the top one.
  5. Whisk the milk, cream and eggs together and then pour evenly over the layered potatoes, making sure that the liquid goes all the way to the base of the dish.
  6. Layer the remaining cheese over the top of the layers and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Test the potatoes with a sharp knife or fork; they should be tender when done.
  7. Eat and be merry!
With the recipe I just shared, I was able to make two containers full of food. You can feed a lot of people with this recipe, or have a ton of leftovers for yourself!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Simply...Gluten-free said...

Potatoes + butter + cream + HEAVEN! Yum. You have agreat blog, very informative. I'm going to add you to my list of links. Keep up the good work!

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!