April 22, 2012

Lamb or Pork Pilaf with Apricots and Raisins

When I first thought of putting this dish together, I wondered how well the flavor of the apricots, raisins and pork would complement (or not) each other.  I went with the pork instead of the lamb, not because I preferred using pork, but because Acme was completely out of lamb:(  This dish came out delicious, so no loss at all, but next time I'm definitely going for the lamb.

I decided to use dried apricot halves.  You might want to cut up the dried apricot into small bits, but if you're cool with big bite-fulls of sweet and plump apricot throughout your Pilaf (like I am), don't change anything.  Although golden raisins would be ideal, dark raisins work just as nicely.  This dish is a unique amalgamation of flavors, but they're all yummy!  Prepare to surprise your palate with something very different:)

Enjoy!

Prep Time = 20 minutes
Cooking Time = 50 minutes
Servings = 4+

Ingredients
  • 2 tblsp butter or margarine
  • 1 cup long or short-grain brown rice
  • 1 large yellow onion (finely chopped)
  • 2 tblsp fresh ginger (minced) 
  • 2 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 2 cups gluten free beef or vegetable stock
  • 3 tblsp vegetable or olive oil
  • 1 pound pork loin or boneless leg of lamb, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 2 small zucchini (diced)
  • 4 oz small mushrooms (halved)
  • 1/2 cup dried apricots (chopped or whole)
  • 1/2 cup dark or golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup minced parsley 
Directions
  1.  Melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan over moderate heat. Add the rice, onion, 1 tblsp of the ginger, and the garlic.  Saute until the rice is pale gold... about 3-4 minutes.
  2. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover it, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
  3. Meanwhile... heat 1 tblsp of the oil in a 12-inch skillet over moderately high heat for 1 minute. Sprinkle the pork or lamb with salt and pepper, and then add to the skillet... brown the meat on all sides (about 10 minutes).
  4. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
  5. Add the remaining oil to the skillet, reduce the heat to moderate and heat for 1 minute. Add the zucchini and the remaining ginger and saute until the zucchini is softened (about 3 minutes).  Add the mushrooms and saute until tender (3 to 4 minutes more). Set aside.
  6. Add the apricots and raisins to the rice, cover and continue cooking until all the liquid is absorbed (about 10 minutes more).
  7. Return the meat to the skillet, add the rice mixture, toss well to mix, and heat just to serving temperature (uncovered), over medium heat.  
  8. Stir in the minced parsley.
  9. Serve and enjoy!

5 comments:

Caitlin Ricci said...

This looks and sounds absolutely delicious!

loon said...

Hi trav, did you gain back your weight after going gluten free? Did you eat rice as well? I have a stomach biopsy that say mild chronic inflammation of the stomach however the doctor refer me to psychiatric i have lost a weight of 17 kg over a year. But going gluten free seem to help at first but i still feel very weak. Do you have any advise? thanks.

Jason (Gluten Free / Dairy Free NJ) said...

This looks really good. I can't eat pork and don't know that I'd like it with lamb (although I love lamb chops). I think if it works with pork it'll probably work with chicken too.

Trav's Gone Gluten Free! said...

This is for loon,

Yes, I gained most of my pre-celiac weight after going gluten free. I ate a lot of rice, as well as corn. However, the healing process took a long time. Honestly, over a year passed before I could say I felt 100%. Expect to suffer from weakness and stomach issues for at least 3-4 months after switching to a gluten free diet. And remember, it probably took many years of gluten-related damage to get to your present condition, so it's likely to take a while to heal. Look for Gluten Free multi-vitamins as well.

CJ - Food Stories said...

Thx for connecting with me on foodbuzz. I just subscribed to your blog feed and can't wait to see what your next post will be!

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!