March 23, 2010

Gluten Free Product Review: Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats

I've been a big fan of Bob's Red Mill products since I found out I have Celiac Disease.  They were one of the first companies that offered a wide variety of products I could eat.  Now that GF has gone somewhat mainstream, there are GF food products galore! Some are good, a lot are pretty bad, but Bob's products have always been great and they continue to release new GF products for us all to enjoy.  Recently I acquired a bag of their new "Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Whole Grain Steel Cut Oats".  The bag states: "Dear Customer... Our premium gluten free oats start as pedigreed non-GMO seed planed in oats-only fields. At harvest, Elisa testing verifies their purity. Our dedicated gluten free facility and additional Elisa testing ensure their integrity."

Before trying this, I've never had Steel Cut Oats.  I've always been a huge fan of oatmeal and preferred the slow cooked Quaker Oats that are available in most supermarkets.  The problem is that Quaker Oats do not guarantee freedom from cross-contamination.  For the longest time I didn't even go near oats for fear of getting sick. Oats naturally do not contain the gluten proteins that make those with Celiac so sick, but often fields of oats are planted near wheat fields so the two crops end up mixing a bit resulting in cross-contamination of most oat-products.

I've got to tell you, after my first bite of these steel cut oats, I was in love!  I find the texture awesome and with a little brown sugar and maple syrup, it's the perfect breakfast food.  I highly suggest you try these out for yourself. That is, of course, if you're a big fan of oatmeal like I am:)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!