March 7, 2010

Aunt Betty's Gluten Free Broccoli Salad

I'm about to share with you the best raw broccoli salad I have ever eaten!  Actually, it's the only raw broccoli salad I have ever eaten, but that's besides the point. This recipe comes from my good friend Cheryl Vermilya. Cheryl and her husband David have been the co-directors of the Town Shop Youth Center for over 35 years!  I attended the center throughout my teen years, and my experiences there were instrumental in shaping who I've become as an adult.  Additionally, the cooking classes that Cheryl organized monthly, truly instilled within me, a love for culinary experimentation.

During our annual New Year's trek to Syracuse to stay with Dave and Cheryl, this dish was prepared as part of a huge, delicious parade of food creations prepared by Cheryl in commemoration of our visit.  Cheryl's aunt, Betty, is the originator of this recipe, so THANKS AUNT BETTY:)  This side dish is simple, fast and yummilicious!  Try not to like it! I dare you:)

Ingredients

  • 1 large bunch of broccoli flowerets (chopped)
  • 1 small onion (minced)
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 4 slices crisp bacon,or facon if you're vegetarian (crumbled)
  • 1/2 cup Miraclewhip mayo
  • 3 tbslp sugar
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (or regular vinegar)

Directions
  1. Mix together the mayo, sugar and vinegar.
  2. Combine all the ingredients (except for the bacon) and mix in a large bowl.
  3. Add the bacon and gently mix.
  4. Serve. That's it! Simple huh?
  5. Enjoy:)

1 comment:

gfe--gluten free easily said...

I love raw broccoli salad. Of course, the bacon is not raw, but hey I'm okay with that! ;-) Once we went on a summer trip to visit friends, staying at a different friend's house each night. Every single night, we were served barbecued chicken and broccoli salad. It was too funny. All were good though! LOL Thanks to you and Aunt Betty. :-)

Shirley

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!