February 26, 2009

Gluten Free Country Chicken Bake

Only one more day until Spring Break begins!  Boy do I need it!  Even though I'll probably end up using the week to catch up on neglected class-work, it'll be nice to sleep in every day, and not have a set schedule to adhere to.  One IRB down and another to go... research is a total pain in the arse!  I don't know why, but I love conducting research, so it's all worth it.

With that said, I'm getting more excited every day about my upcoming trip to Chongqing, China.  I've just met the Chinese History professor that will be accompanying us. She has been to Chongqing before, and knows how to get around. On top of that, she speaks fluid Mandarin!  I totally plan on asking her help in finding great gluten-free eats throughout the city.  In particular, I'm on the hunt for back-alley street food joints seldom visited by foreign visitors. 

Although I've been super-busy, I've been cooking a lot in order to have the necessary leftovers needed for hurried lunches and dinners, squeezed in while working on my endless projects. This dish didn't last long after I made it.  There was one day that I ate this for lunch and dinner, and then again the next morning for breakfast!  I know that would probably be out of the question for many, but something about the broth was just so darn comforting that I couldn't get enough!  You're going to love this:)

Ingredients
  • 2 tblsp. vegetable oil
  • 4 chicken quarters
  • 1 pound small whole onions, peeled (I found them in the frozen vegetable section)
  • 3 celery stalks, sliced
  • 1 14oz. can red kidney beans
  • 4 small tomatoes, quartered (or 1  16oz-ish can diced tomatoes)
  • 1 cup chicken stock (make sure it's GF - I used Pacific Natural Foods)
  • 4 tblsp. fresh parsley
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • salt & pepper
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used parmesan and mozzarella)

Cooking Directions
  1. Heat the oil in a flame-safe casserole dish (or heavy all-metal pan) and fry the chicken quarters, two at a time, until golden. Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  3. Add the onions and fry, stirring occasionally, until golden. Add the celery and fry for 2-3 minutes. 
  4. Return the chicken to the pan, then mix in the beans, tomatoes, broth, 1/2 the parsley, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the paprika.
  5. Cover and cook in your preheated oven until the chicken juices run clean when forked. 
  6. Remove from oven and sprinkle with your choice of shredded cheese and top with remaining parsley. 
  7. Return to oven, uncovered, and bake for an additional 12 minutes, or until crispy and golden.
  8. Remove, serve immediately and enjoy!


4 comments:

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Looks great, Travis. Comfort food I think, yet healthy. I always use Better than Bouillon to make my chicken stock/broth ... so much easier than having to have multiple cans of stock. Don't know how the taste compares to Pacific's version, but I like BTB a lot.

Shirley

H.Peter said...

CHINA!

You will love it. Especially the back alley food experience.

I am in Yongkang right now, back in Shanghai tomorrow.

Debbie said...

I like your links and pictures below the post - very snazzy! You must be so thrilled to go to China. Don't forget your GF soy sauce!
Debbie

Angie's Recipes said...

Chongqing!!! hahaha....you gotta try food there....noodles, dumplings, a variety of chicken, tofu dishes, hot pot....oh, man....you are going to love it......I am sure you can find gluten free food. You just have to tell the waiters in the restaurants that you have Celiac Disease...well, write it down on a piece of paper in Chinese, what you are not supposed to eat, and drink, etc. Show the piece of paper to the waiter when you are in a restaurant....... the chef should be able to come up with something for you.

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!