March 8, 2009

Gluten Free Six-Bean Barbecue Bake

It's Sunday night, the last day of spring-break, and I'm sitting in the front of the television watching Mark and Olly: Machigenga.  I love that show!  Overall, it was a nice break, and a very nice weekend. The weather was abnormaly warm and dry, so I spent as much time as possible outside . I was also able to get a much-needed dose of friend-time:)  Always a good thing!!

I also ate a LOT of  good food.  For some reason it ended up being a feast-weekend.  Today, we checked out the Philadelphia Flower Show.  We sniffed enough flowers to make our boogers yellow.  The arrangements were beautiful, and I thoroughly enjoyed the many forms of bloom-oriented artwork on display.  A friend we ate dinner with Saturday night gave us two free tickets to go. Talk about a sweet score! Thank you Melanie!  At a price-tag over $25, I don't think I would have gone otherwise.  Flowers in a building are great, but I prefer them in their natural surroundings:)

Afterwards we went to Reading Terminal Market, to a little place called Delila's, and ordered chopped barbeque chicken, collard greens and sweet potatoes. It was awesome!  The only thing missing was a huge pile of baked beans. I dig baked beans, almost as much as yams:) In general, I like them on the sweet side. And maybe even some bacon thrown in for good measure. The following recipe doesn't require bacon, but is definitely designed for those with a serious sweet-tooth (i.e., people like me). You'll love em'  but those around you might not love you so much; especially with all that fiber going through your system.  For real, you might want stay outdoors after eating a big bowl of these beans, otherwise you might gas people out!  But who cares, it's a small price to pay for indulging in some seriously good barbecued beans:)

This recipe calls for a slow cooker 


  • 1 can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 can pinto beans, drained
  • 1 can butter beans, drained
  • 1 can great northern beans, drained
  • 1 can navy beans, drained
  • 1 can pork and beans, not drained (or any other can of beans if you're veg)
  • 1/4 cup barbecue sauce (makes sure it's GF)
  • 1/4 cup mustard
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 small bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup molasses

Cooking Directions
  1. Mix everything together in your slow cooker.
  2. Cook on low to medium for 4-6 hours.
  3. That's it, couldn't be easier! Enjoy!


1 comment:

gfe--gluten free easily said...

This recipe looks terrific, Travis! I am with you on baked beans that are on the sweeter side. :-) I also love all the different beans in this recipe. I make a baked bean recipe with ground beef that uses butter beans that I love, but my husband doesn't (it's not the butter beans, he's just not a bean man). I will have to plan on making this one soon to satisfy the craving I suddenly have!

thanks,
Shirley

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!