February 15, 2009

Gluten Free Tuna Salad With Black-Eyed Beans and Apples

Mindy and I just returned from a walk through Swarthmore Forest after a nice breakfast at the Coffee Corner in Morton.  This morning we both woke up early, but felt completely rested.  Sleep deprivation has been the norm lately, so having a couple nights of good sleep over the weekend are necessary for survival.  Last night I locked our cat Loki in the basement (along with his food and water) so that he wouldn't wake us up throughout the night with constant reports on who knows what?!  I felt a little bad, but our basement is fully carpeted and has everything he needs.  I'm glad I did though, since I feel more rested today than I have in weeks.

In just a few hours we are going to our much anticipated, deep-tissue massage appointment.  We both love going to the massage therapist.  I just wish it wasn't so expensive.  When we lived in China, massage was so cheap that you could go twice a week and think nothing of it. Things are a bit different here in the US. Although massage has tons of health benefits, it's considered a luxury. In China, it's viewed as an important path to being healthy.  I can't wait for my trip to Chongqing, I'll be getting foot rubs every other day!:)

So.... completely switching gears.  This tuna salad was the first dish I served to my friends, Joy and Jason, when they came to visit last Friday evening.  When I found this recipe in the book: PORTUGUESE FOOD & COOKING, I thought the mix of ingredients were a bit bizarre.  I never thought of mixing apples with beans and tuna before.  In fact, I was a bit hesitant to make it since I couldn't imagine such an eclectic mix of flavors working well.  Boy was I wrong!  This salad was a big hit!  We all loved it.  It tasted fresh, earthy, and completely healthy.  The best thing about this recipe is how easy it was to make.  I guarantee you'll be surprised at how good this is:)

Ingredients
  • 1 apple (cored and thinly sliced)
  • 8 1/2 oz. of tuna, drained
  • 1 can of black-eyed beans (peas), drained and rinsed well
  • 1 small onion (finely chopped)
  • 2 tbsp. fresh parsley (chopped)
  • 6 tbsp. quality olive oil
  • 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar

Preparation
  1. Mix the sliced apple, tuna, beans, onion and parsley in a salad bowl and mix gently.
  2. Whisk together the olive oil and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl, then pour over the salad. Toss and serve.
  3. I told you it was easy! Get ready for some good eating!

1 comment:

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Travis--That salad really does look and sound terrific. I will try it soon. Black-eyed peas are my favorite, I eat apples daily, and I am often making tuna salad, so this one is a no-brainer for me. Way cool--thanks!

Sorry about the sleep issues. Two things that help me are taking my calcium supplement (Perque BoneGuard, which also contains D, magnesium, etc.) at bedtime, which makes me sleepy, and wearing my Sergio Lub bracelet, which contains copper, silver, brass, zinc, etc. that you absorb through the skin. I realize that sounds "out there," but I have been amazed at my better sleep since I started wearing my bracelet 24/7. Ironically, I bought it on a trip two years ago because it was so pretty. I had no idea about its special properties until I got home and read the accompanying information.

Hope the massages were great. I love them so much, but have been foregoing them lately, too, to save some money. Some folks with massage schools nearby can get great massages for wonderful discounts. Any near you?

Shirley

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!