November 30, 2008

Gluten Free Goulash

I've always been a big fan of goulash.  Growing up in central New York, goulash was one of my mom's staple dinners.  With so many options for gluten free pasta on the market now, the pastabilities are endless.  This is the first time I have ever actually made goulash the way it's supposed to be (slow cooked).  When I typically make a goulash-like pasta dish, I boil the pasta separately, and then add all the sauce ingredients afterwards.  What makes goulash taste so much better, is that the pasta is slowly boiled within the sauce.

The smell that filled my home as this dish cooked was amazing! I knew I was in for something special. The first bite instantly transported me back to countless dinners shared with my mother and brother. I kept picturing my brother and I devouring our goulash, while the sun slowly drifted toward the horizon outside our windows.  It was a race to the finish so that we could go back outside and take advantage of the last but of sunlight left. I love how food can help us access memories long ago filed into the recesses of our minds.

This recipe calls for Soy Sauce, which is often gluten-ous.  There are a few varieties of gluten free soy sauce to choose from, by I use "SAN-J Organic Tamari, Wheat Free Soy Sauce." Most herbs and seasoning salts are gluten free, but make sure to check the ingredients.

Prep Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Servings: 8


Goulash Ingredients
  • 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 2 large yellow onions (chopped)
  • 3 garlic cloves, (chopped)
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 cans (15 oz) tomato sauce 
  • 2 cans (15 oz) diced tomatoes 
  • 3 tblsp. soy sauce (gluten free)
  • 2 tblsp. Italian seasoning (or mix Oregano, Basil, Sage)
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 tblsp. seasoned salt (I used Goya)
  • 2 cups uncooked gluten free elbow pasta

Goulash Directions
  1. In a deep pot, cook the ground beef on medium-high until no longer pink (breaking it up as it cooks). Spoon out the fat as it pools. Add the onion and garlic to the beef, and cook until the onions are translucent (about 10 minutes)
  2. Stir in the water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, soy sauce, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, and seasoned salt. Heat till boiling, then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
  3. Stir the elbow pasta into the beef mixture. Cover and simmer on low for 25 more minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent pasta from sticking
  4. Remove from heat, fish out and discard the bay leaves. Stir it up good to distribute flavors and return lid to pot. Let sit about 30 minutes before serving. 
  5. Devour and Enjoy!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed reading your memories today. Smell is supposed to be right next to the memory thing-a-ma-bob in the brain. :)

And I love how easy your blog is to navigate - great resources.

Can't say I've tried goulash before - I'll try this recipe soon.

Thanks,
Cathy

H.Peter said...

I am impressed. Gulasch. Grew up on it back in Austria.

But where is the Paprika?

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!