Wow, I can't believe it's been 10 days since I posted a recipe! I've had a crazy week and a half; with paper deadlines, presentation preparations, and a trip to San Juan Puerto Rico. It's not like I haven't been cooking and checking out great places to eat either, because I have. In fact, I have a bunch of new recipes and reviews lined up to be posted within the next few weeks. But first, I want to share a quick meal idea. This breakfast dish is super easy to make, satisfying, and very filling. I went with parmesan, but feel free to use whatever cheese you'd like. If you're a meat-eater, this would also be great with chopped sausage or bacon mixed in with the corn meal/grits.
- Any 14 to 24 oz. can of chopped tomatoes (I used Hunt's with herbs)
- 2-3 cups cooked Yellow Corn meal or White Grits (make sure it's GF!)
- 3-4 eggs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup shredded cheese (your choice)
- Cook the grits/yellow corn meal according to the directions. Stir in the paprika, sea salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Layer the bottom of a 9" by 12" baking dish with the corn meal
- Spoon a wall of chopped tomatoes around the edge of the baking dish
- Crack open the eggs over the center of the dish, making sure not to break the yolks
- Carefully place the dish in the oven
- Cook for 20 to 22 minutes, or until the egg whites are fully cooked
- Remove from oven, add a little more s&p, and then sprinkle shredded cheese over cooked eggs
- Return the dish to the oven and bake just until the cheese has fully melted
- Enjoy your breakfast!