November 11, 2008

Easy Cheesy Breakfast Bake

Wow, I can't believe it's been 10 days since I posted a recipe!  I've had a crazy week and a half; with paper deadlines, presentation preparations, and a trip to San Juan Puerto Rico.  It's not like I haven't been cooking and checking out great places to eat either, because I have. In fact, I have a bunch of new recipes and reviews lined up to be posted within the next few weeks.   But first, I want to share a quick meal idea.  This breakfast dish is super easy to make, satisfying, and very filling. I went with parmesan, but feel free to use whatever cheese you'd like. If you're a meat-eater, this would also be great with chopped sausage or bacon mixed in with the corn meal/grits.
















Ingredients
  • Any 14 to 24 oz. can of chopped tomatoes (I used Hunt's with herbs)
  • 2-3 cups cooked Yellow Corn meal or White Grits (make sure it's GF!)
  • 3-4 eggs
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4-1/2 cup shredded cheese (your choice)

Cooking Directions
  1. Cook the grits/yellow corn meal according to the directions. Stir in the paprika, sea salt and pepper
  2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  3. Layer the bottom of a 9" by 12" baking dish with the corn meal
  4. Spoon a wall of chopped tomatoes around the edge of the baking dish
  5. Crack open the eggs over the center of the dish, making sure not to break the yolks
  6. Carefully place the dish in the oven
  7. Cook for 20 to 22 minutes, or until the egg whites are fully cooked
  8. Remove from oven, add a little more s&p, and then sprinkle shredded cheese over cooked eggs
  9. Return the dish to the oven and bake just until the cheese has fully melted
  10. Enjoy your breakfast!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Travis. I'm getting the guest list together for the next Philadelphia Area Food Blogger Potluck and would love to add you. Can you send me your e-mail address via my blog so I can add you to the evite? Thanks, and I hope you can make the potluck!

Maggie said...

This looks great! I love savory breakfasts and it's been ages since I've had grits.

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!