One of the staples of bake sales across the country, Rice crispy treats have to be one of the easiest sweets to make. Unfortunately rice crispies contains malt flavoring, and malt contains gluten, therefore completely off-limits to celiac sufferers. Fortunately, there is ONE name brand cereal that has gone gluten free: Rice Chex. I wrote a blog a while ago about Rice Chex going gluten free, here is the link "Rice Chex Article." This is my first experiment making cereal bars with Rice Chex. It's basic, super fast, and most importantly, EASY. As far as the Marshmallows go, I've found most brands to be gluten free like Kraft Jet Puffed, but check the ingredients. Experiment by adding coconut flakes, nuts, M&Ms, or substitute any other gluten free cereal in this recipe. I brought these into work. They were very popular:)
- 6 cups of Rice Chex (no other Chex products are GF, YET)
- 1 cup of chocolate chunks/chips (make sure GF)
- 1 pound bag of Marshmallows (any size)
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- Throw the butter in a big pot over low heat until melted.
- Add the marshmallows and stir consistently until completely melted (10 minutes or so).
- Add the chocolate and the Rice Chex, stir until the cereal is completely coated.
- Scoop out the mixture and press into an 8" x 12" pan. Press to compact. Place in fridge to cool.
- Once cool, slice into squares and chow down!