When first switching to a gluten free diet, it can be tough to see your new world through "cup half full" lenses. Most people initially obsess over all the things they will now miss out on, especially things like beer, pizza and baked goods. So they try to replace all they lost by baking a lot of GF breads and pastries, searching in vain for local distributors of gluten free beer, and researching all the local restaurants with GF menus. All of which are great things to do to make one's new dietary reality more tolerable, but what people often overlook is the ease of making and eating great food that is naturally gluten free.
Having a range of quick and easy-to-make meals is a must for everyone suffering from gluten sensitivity issues. I've accumulated quite a few over the years, but this is one of my frequent flyers. There are so many ways to use 100% corn tortilla, and this is absolutely my favorite! I can whip this meal up in 5 minutes flat! Try it you'll love it:)
- Corn Tortillas
- Diced Tomatoes
- Spray-Oil (canola or olive)
- Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Dried Basil
- Cheese (your choice)
- Hot sauce (most brands are naturally gluten free)
- Have one large and one small frying pan over medium high heat.
- Spray the small frying pan with olive oil or any other spray-on oil (making sure that it's GF).
- Dice up some tomato and dust with dried basil
- Once hot, crack two or three eggs onto the small frying pan. Add some salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Spray each side of your corn tortillas and throw onto large frying pan. Once the tortilla begins to look a bit bubbly, turn over and throw some cheese on them. Turn the heat down to low.
- Once the eggs are cooked (whole or scrambled, it doesn't matter), remove the tortilla from the pan and place on a large plate.
- Add some tomato, hot sauce, and then your eggs.
- Eat and love it!