November 10, 2009

Gluten Free Pumpkin Apricot Stew

Halloween is over, but I'm still daydreaming about the stew that we served at our Halloween costume party. It was absolutely amazing! And eating it out of a pumpkin was just downright cool! Plus, I'm a huge fan of yams, and this dish is loaded with delicious yam chunks!

I'm not sure if you can find pumpkins anymore, but even without the pumpkin shell, this is sure to be a hit with anyone you're feeding:) My apologies for the poor photo, I planned on taking nice photos of this stew the next day, but it was all eaten up!

To keep things GF, I used an organic beef broth that stated "gluten-free" on the carton. I've also used the product "Better Than Bouillon" numerous times with no ill effect. The ingredients do not list anything evidently glutenous, but proceed with caution if you happen to have a very sensitive system.

Ingredients
  • 2 lb beef stew meat, cubed
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tblsp oil
  • 2 large tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 large green pepper, chopped
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 cup dried apricots
  • 3 white potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 3 sweet potatoes (yams), peeled and cubed
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • butter
  • 1 16oz. can whole kernal corn, drained
  • 1 medium pumpkin

Cooking Directions
  1. Cook beef, onion and garlic together in oil until browned. Add the tomatoes, pepper, salt, pepper, sugar, apricots, potatoes and broth. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
  2. Meanwhile, cut off the pumpkin top. Scoop out the seeds and membrane. Brush the inside of the pumpkin walls with melted butter and then salt and pepper the inside.
  3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  4. Once the pumpkin is prepped, add the corn to the stew and stir together. Ladle the hot stew into the pumpkin shell.
  5. Place shell in a shallow pan and bake, uncovered, for about an hour or until the pumpkin meat is tender.
  6. Serve by scraping up the sides of the pumpkin before ladling into bowls. Make sure you get a nice amount of pumpkin flesh into each serving.
  7. Place lid of pumpkin back on for aesthetic appeal:) You're going to love this!!!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!