June 3, 2009

Gluten Free Shrimptastic Potato Salad

Sorry! No pic for this one. I did take a pic before I left for China, but must have accidently erased it:(

My plan was to spend my time in Chongqing, China, documenting my experiences trying to eat gluten-free while avoiding "Western" food.  However, things don't always go according to plan. After arriving at the dormitory and setting up my internet connection, I tried to visit my blog...  DENIED!  I tried accessing it through various search engine with no luck.  Apparently, China isn't too keen on people blogging.  So I spent the entire month wishing I could update this blog:(  Oh well, what can you do.

Now I have a lot to say about my experience, but I want to share this potato salad recipe before I get into my trip.  Before leaving I attended a pot-luck and brought this salad.  I loved it, and so did everyone else.  Since its the season for outdoor picnics and pot-lucks, this one's a must-have for the recipe box!  I like the amount of shrimp in the following recipe, but could see adding more than is called for. Enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 10-ish large baking potatoes (scrubbed)
  • 12 eggs
  • 3 green onion bunches (chopped)
  • 6 dill pickles (chopped)
  • 8 oz. small shrimp (frozen or canned)
  • 2 cups low-fat mayonnaise
  • 2 tblsp. celery salt
  • 1 tblsp. paprika
  • 2 cloves garlic (diced)
  • salt & pepper (to taste)

Directions
  1. Put potatoes in a large pot of water, cover and bring to boil.  Boil until soft. Remove potatoes from water and set aside to cool.  Peel them and then chop them up into bite-size pieces (if you like skins like I do, feel free to leave a few in).
  2. Place the eggs in a pot and completely cover with cold water. Bring the water to boil for one minute. Cover the pot and remove it from the heat. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for about 12 minutes. Remove from water and cool. Peel and chop em up.
  3. In a large bowl, mix up the potatoes, eggs, green onions, dill pickles and shrimp. Add the mayonnaise, celery salt and paprika and mix. Season with S&P.  
  4. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours to let the tastes settle in.
  5. Chow down and love it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Trav!

This potato salad looks really good! But, I am so very interested in hearing about your trip to China. Our youngest daughter is from China and we plan on going back in 2012. However, now our entire family, for various reasons, is gluten free. Please share about your trip!! (And pics too!)

Overall, despite the blogging issues was it an excellent trip an educational adventure? Some of us are living vicariously through you!

Paige

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Hi Travis--Any salad with shrimp is definitely a winner in my book! Sounds great (although I might cut back on those pickles myself LOL). :-)

Welcome home! Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

Shirley

Angie's Recipes said...

Finally back....can't wait to read what you have experienced in China.
Did you check if you blog is blocked somehow?
Check this, you might be able to find out.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2007/10/is-china-blocking-your-blog-grrr.html

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!