April 23, 2009

Gluten Free Spaghetti Frittata

Wow. I can't believe how long it's been since I posted a recipe!  It's been over a month, but for me, it seems like only a week or two.  I have one more week till my brother moves up from Georgia (Yaaaaaay!!!), two more weeks until I hop a plane for China (Double Yaaaaaay!!!), and only a few more months till I get married (Jackpot Yaaaaaay!!!).  So much has happened in the past month, that just thinking about it all makes me dizzy.

As far as food is concerned, I've kept things pretty basic - mostly corn tortilla wraps of every variety, rice cakes with peanut butter and jelly, omelets and scrambled eggs, and other quick to prepare meals on the go.  However, I have been eating out at a lot of great places that offer gluten free meals, including Pei Wei, Sazon, and this little Vietnamese Pho restaurant on the west side. This meal is actually the first "out-of-the-ordinary" meal I've made since I last posted.  Pretty sad actually...  But now that all my school work is complete, I've got some extra time on my hands and I'm ready to start cooking again:)

Spaghetti frittata?  I know, it sounds weird, but I swear it's yummy;)  You can play around with the spice in this one depending on your taste, but as it's written, it's not too spicy.  When boiling the gluten free pasta, remove and drain before it's al dente to avoid it becoming too mushy when you throw the whole thing in the oven.  This can be scooped out with a big spoon, or cut into wedges like I did for the photo.  Also, feel free to substitute the mozzarella with whatever cheese you prefer. Enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 8 oz. uncooked spaghetti (I used Tinkyada Organic Brown Rice Pasta)
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 medium zucchini, sliced
  • 1 tblsp. olive oil
  • 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (undrained)
  • 8 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 tblsp. hot sauce (I used Emeril's Red Pepper Sauce)
  • 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 cup shredded cheese


Cooking Instructions
  • Cook the pasta as directed on the package, minus 3-5 minutes or until "almost al dente."
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet on medium/high.  Add the onions and mushroom and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until onions are crisp and tender.
  • Add the sundried tomatoes, zucchini and chopped tomatoes with their liquid.  Cook an additional 10 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated off, stirring occasionally.
  • Mix the pasta with the eggs and 1/2 cup of the cheese in a large bowl; mix well.  Add to the vegetables in the skillet; stir until incorporated.  Cook on medium/low for about 5 minutes or until bottom of frittata is set. 
  • Sprinkle with remaining cheese and throw into the oven for 10-20 minutes, or until center of frittata is set.
  • Remove from oven and let cool for a little while.
  • Say FRITTATA 3 times loudly, devour and enjoy!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

i've had this before, only we call it spaghetti pie!

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Oooh, this looks good! I've made a spaghetti pie that is very similar, but will try your recipe. Sounds like you are are extremely busy with wonderful and exciting stuff--that's all good!

Shirley

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!