July 21, 2008

Beans & Rice Soft Tacos

Here's an example of one of my typical weeknight meals.  The only part of this meal that takes any real time is the rice.  Initially, one of the hardest parts of dealing with Celiac disease is learning to create easy meals, made with basic ingredients.  I quickly learned how useful corn products were and found ways to eat polenta and tortillas in as many ways as possible. Rice-based meals were also high on my list.  Although research has helped me become very creative in making gluten free meals, I've rely a lot on easy meals like the one below.

On this particular occasion, I was looking for something to create with a pot of leftover rice I had. I rummaged through the cabinets and decided to pull out a can of black beans, and another of refried beans.  I also found a half-used jar of Mexican Red Sauce from Trader Joe's. In about 15 minutes my meal was prepared, and I was digging in.  Meals like this one are great for anyone, but especially for parents of kids with Celiac disease.  It's easy, fast, and healthy. Plus, it's vegetarian, and lactose free as well.  

Ingredients
  • 1 can  Refried Beans (read the label for gluten. Old El Paso brand are GF)
  • 1 can Black Beans
  • 2 cups Rice
  • 1 tblsp. Garlic Powder
  • 1 jar Mexican Red Sauce (or Enchilada Sauce)
  • 2 tblsp. Dried Oregano
  • Pure Corn Tortillas
  • Salt & Pepper

Directions
  • Drain the black beans but don't rinse them off.  You want some of the liquid to make it a bit saucy.  Throw them in a saucepan on medium-low heat.  Add the garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper (to taste).  Cover the saucepan and stir occasionally for 5-10 minutes. 
  • In a small pot on medium-low heat, mix the rice and red sauce until it is as soupy as you'd like.  I think the soupier the better, but some people like it drier.  Cook for 5-10 minutes.
  • Open up the can of refried beans, which usually looks like cat food, and either put it into a bowl and microwave it, or into a pan on the stove to heat up (5-10 minutes).  
  • Use a frying pan to heat up the tortillas.  Just spray a little cooking oil on the pan and throw the tortillas on until bubbles start forming. Then flip them over for a minute. You just want to make them soft and pliable, not hard and crispy.  
  • That's it, you're done! Just spoon each ingredient into the center of the tortillas and fold together. You can also add some sour cream, some shredded cheese, or pretty much anything you can think of. Enjoy:)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!