It's the day after x-mas and New Years 2013 is right around the corner. Make sure to add this to your New Year's Resolution healthy eating meal list; it's a keeper!
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 2 tblsp. oil (vegetable or coconut)
- 2 cups onions (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 celery stalk (chopped)
- 1 carrot (cut diagonally into 1/4 inch slices)
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup zucchini (cubed)
- 2 cups undrained canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water or GF vegetable stock
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. fresh or 1 tsp. dried oregano
- pinch of cayenne (or more if it's what you like)
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Using a fine strainer, rinse your quinoa well. Place it in a pot with the water (1 cup) and cook, covered, on medium-low heat for about 15 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
- Take out a covered pot. As the quinoa is cooking, saute the onions and garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the celery and carrots to the pot and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the bell pepper, zucchini, tomatoes, and water or GF stock. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, coriander, cayenne, and oregano, and simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes (until the vegetables are tender).
- Stir the cooked quinoa into the stew and add salt to taste. Top with cilantro and grated cheese if you like.
- Serve up and enjoy!