February 23, 2010

Gluten Free Pumpkin & Rice Soup


My comprehensive exams are coming up and I'm stressing it a little.  I know that all I have to do is pass them, but my pathological drive to always go the extra distance is pushing me to want to get the best scores possible.  Although I know that it really doesn't matter what score you get, a passing mark is a passing mark, I just can't help myself.  On top of comps I have a chapter I'm writing for a book on Civic Engagement that is due (in rough form at least) by Monday.  It'll be bloodshot eyes and sore wrists from typing by the end of this weekend for sure!

With the lack of free time, I've been keeping it simple in the kitchen.  The following recipe can be made with fresh pumpkin if you like, but for sake of cost and convenience, I went with canned pumpkin.  Also, although I didn't add any, feel free to add crumbled bacon or diced ham to this soup to give it a little tasty protein kick:)  Regardless of how you alter this soup, it's sure to warm your insides with a sense of comfort, and put a smile on your face.

Serves 2

Ingredients

  • 1 - 24-28 oz. canned pumpkin (I used pureed)
  • 1 1/2 - cups GF chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 1/2 - cups low-fat milk
  • 1 1/2 - tsp sugar
  • 1/2 - tsp ground cinnamon (to serve)
  • 1/2 - 1 cup cooked rice
  • Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper

Directions
  1. Add all the ingredients, except the rice and cinnamon, in a soup pan and heat till boiling (stirring occasionally). 
  2. Reduce heat to low. Stir in most of the rice (leave a little to sprinkle on top of soup) and cook for another 5 minutes. This is the point where you'd add bacon or diced ham if you prefer.
  3. Adjust the S&P to taste before ladling into serving bowls.  Top off with a sprinkle of rice and cinnamon.
  4. That's it!  Like I said, simple and fast! Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!