October 17, 2009

Gluten Free Chicken Potato Bean-sprout Stew

The Northeast has been experiencing a wet and cold week.  This Sunday we scheduled a trip to Linvilla Orchards to pick apples, eat cider-doughnuts, and go on a hay-ride followed by a bonfire to roast marshmallows.  I've got my fingers crossed, but it could very well be a wash-out.  We have 80 people signed up, so I'm hoping for a break around the time our wagons are scheduled to depart. Either way, rain or not, I'll be there warming up with hot spiced cider and the company of good friends:)

Right now, as I'm writing this, a large pot of turkey chocolate chili is reducing on the stove.  It smells AWESOME!!!  This rainy, dreary, cold and gray weather is the perfect time for chili, soup and stew.  The chicken stew recipe below is something I whipped up with what I had on hand.  I was nervous about the bean-sprouts, but they ended up being an amazing alternative to noodles. They still held their texture, and since I didn't chop them up, were nice and stringy like al dente pasta.  

A hot, steaming bowl of chicken stew on a cold and damp day is a bit of heaven! I shared this with some friends and they shared with me that this stew is amazing. Make it! You'll love it!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups chopped carrots
  • 2 cups bean sprouts (rinsed)
  • 2 lb chicken breast (chopped)
  • 6 cups scrubbed and chopped red potatoes (with skins on)
  • 8 green onions/scallions chopped
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 6 cups GF chicken broth (I used "better than bouillon")
  • 1 tsp concentrated lemon juice
  • 3 tblsp vegetable oil
  • Salt, Black Pepper and Garlic Pepper

Directions:
  1. The first thing you're going to do is cook up the chicken. Heat the oil in a large pot on med-high till hot and throw in the chopped chicken breast. As it's cooking, keep stirring and adding shakes of salt, pepper and garlic pepper until you feel that it's spicy enough for you. Once the chicken is cooked through, using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken and set aside.
  2. Add the chopped carrots, onions and bean sprouts to the chicken oil. Stir constantly for about 3 minutes.  Add the bay leaves, potatoes and lemon juice and stir together for a couple more minutes.
  3. Add the chicken stock until everything is covered with about 1 inch of liquid. Cover an bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and uncover.
  4. Let the soup simmer for about 3o minutes, tasting about 1/2 way through and adding more salt, pepper and garlic pepper to your specific taste.
  5. Serve hot and steamy on a wet, cold day. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!