I brought these goodies to my friend's birthday party (along with some rum nuggets) and they were a hit! Mindy and I had a bottle of Appleton Rum that we brought back from Jamaica, so I figured what better way to put it to good use. I was pretty heavy-handed with the rum, so feel free to use less. I wrote about Rice Chex going gluten free a while ago, and now there are a number of GF Chex cereals. I love the Honey Nut, Cinnamon Chex and Chocolate Chex cereals, but Corn Chex is great as well. It's so great going to a normal grocery store and being able to pick up mainstream GF products. What a difference a few years can make!
I used half a box of Chocolate Chex to make these Rum Boulders, but feel free to experiment with any of the Chex cereals. Also, I used ground walnuts, but these would be great with ground or crushed almonds as well. These keep well when wrapped up and put in the fridge, and can be a great alternative to a drink after work:) And if you want, you could always spread the mixture out in a shallow pan and have yourself some GF Rum Bars to bring on the hiking trails. Enjoy!
- 14oz can of condensed milk
- 1/2 box of Chocolate Chex Cereal (crushed)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (crushed or ground)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Place golden raisins and rum in a bowl and set aside to soak.
- Mix the crushed Chex with the walnuts, condensed milk, cocoa, coconut, rum and raisins together. If mixture is too sloppy or gooey, add more cocoa and coconut.
- Using a couple of spoons, shape the mixture into double bite-size mini-boulders and place on wax paper or in paper cupcake holders. (I used the mini ones)
- Place in fridge to set for about an hour.
- Transfer to airtight container.
- Dig in and enjoy! Don't eat too many of these though, I did and ended up with a slight hangover.