Well, I'm back in the swing of things. The transition is always rough for a couple of days, then it just wears off and your back in the grind:) One of the things I always tell people who've just found out they can no longer ingest gluten, is that keeping things simple is the best way to go. Mindy and I decided that we were going to eat healthier and cheaper for our joint New Year's resolution. We are both super-busy over-achievers, who often end up eating out, either because we don't have the time to cook, or because we are just too darned tired after work. So, we agreed to make Sunday our "cooking day," where we would make all of our meals for the upcoming work-week. Well, at least all of our lunches and dinners. Breakfast is just too easy to warrant eating defrosted omelets!
Here is an example of one of those great dishes that is simple, and naturally gluten free. I made this along with my meals for the week. I loved it! You can use eggplant instead of zucchini (also known as courgettes) if you'd like. There's a couple stages to this one, but it's still easy, and the finished product is healthy and delicious. Enjoy!
- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced
- 1 pound of roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 to 1 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 6 tblsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the broiler (or grill).
- Place the sliced zucchinis in a single layer on a foil-lined grill rack. Brush the zucchini slices with olive oil and broil for 15-20 minutes, turning once about half way (until golden on both sides). If you overlap your slices a bit, don't worry about it. Not a big deal:)
- Remove from broiler and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss together the browned zucchini, sliced tomatoes, a little more olive oil, and some salt and pepper in a bowl. Then pile the mixture into a shallow, baking dish.
- Drizzle the zucchini and tomato slices with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and the vegetables are piping hot.
- Chow down immediately!