October 5, 2008

Almond Fudge Shortbread Squares

Yes, these are gluten free. And yes, these are freaking delicious!!! This was the first time I've made fudge, and I found it easy and fun. I also liked the hands-on aspect of pressing the shortbread dough into the pans. The process was a bit messy, but messy is fun! I can totally see using this short bread dough as a cheesecake crust in the near future. Possibly Pumpkin Cheesecake?!

For flour, I used "Bob's Red Mill Wheat Free Biscuit & Baking Mix" Bob's Red Mill "Wheat Free Biscuit & Baking Mix I used an artificial Almond extract which had vanillin in it. From everything I've read, vanillin is gluten free. But for a link to a dialogue on the topic, click here. I really wanted all natural almond extract, but hey, you've got to work with what you can get. I ended up doubling this recipe so that I would have enough to share with my coworkers during our Friday training workshop. I had WAY more than enough! I ended up sharing with my partner's coworkers, as well as my neighbors, and still had enough to contribute to my gut-building process. Beware! These are habit forming!

Makes 24 to 36 Bars

Ingredients
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/4 cups all purpose gluten free flour or baking mix
  • 1 (12 oz.) package Semi-Sweet chocolate chips (check the ingredients for gluten)
  • 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 tsp. almond extract
  • Sliced almonds (toasted optional)

Baking Directions
  1. Heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Beat the butter, sugar and salt in a large bowl until fluffy. Add flour and mix well. With GF floured hands, press the dough evenly into a greased (vegetable oil sprayed) 13 x 9 inch baking pan. You many need to flour your hands repeatedly.
  3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven.
  4. Melt chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat once all the chips have melted and stir in the almond extract.
  5. Quickly and evenly spread the chocolate mixture over the baked shortbread. Garnish with the sliced almonds and press them down into the chocolate with your hands.
  6. Throw it in the fridge and let cool for a few hours (or until firm).
  7. Cut into bars. Store covered at room temperature.
  8. Eat up and enjoy with a tall glass of milk (or soy milk)


2 comments:

Simply...Gluten-free said...

These look amazing!

Rachel said...

Hi Trav:

I just wanted to let you know that there is a little thank you surprise awaiting you at my blog today.

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!