October 12, 2008

Pumpkin Peanut Sweet Potato Soup

In celebration of the upcoming harvest season, I chose to create a dish with one of October's signature fruits, the mighty pumpkin. This soup has a unique taste, is very hearty, and incorporates another favorite ingredient of mine, the yam! I've never made this before, but I found it to be hearty, its taste... unique, and its feel... the definition of comfort food. It's also very easy to make, and inexpensive to boot! For some reason, I feel like bits of cooked bacon would fit perfectly with this soup. So next time I make this, it'll be time for some swine! Make this as a delicious entree, or as an addition to a festive holiday meal. Either way, if you like peanuts, yams and pumpkin, you'll dig this:)

Ingredients
  • 4 tblsp. (1/2 stick) butter
  • 4 cups canned pumpkin (or leftover cooked and pureed pumpin)
  • 2 cups canned pureed sweet potato
  • 1 cup all natural smooth peanut butter
  • 6 cups organic (gluten free) chicken stock
  • 1 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • Fresh snipped chives (garnish)
  • Sour Cream (garnish)

Cooking Directions
  1. Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat.
  2. Stir in the pumpkin, sweet potato and peanut butter.
  3. Add the chicken stock, pepper & salt, & stir until smooth and fully incorporated.
  4. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
  5. Before serving, garnish the soup with snipped chives and sour cream
  6. Make annoying slurping sounds while eating with a ridiculous grin on your face.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!